Learn more about my role as a member of the House Labor, Health and Human Services and Education Subcommittee.
My priorities on the Labor, HHS, and Education Subcommittee:
I am once again serving on the Labor, HHS, and Education Subcommittee after leaving the subcommittee last Congress. My position on this subcommittee has enabled me to promote Idaho interests in the areas of education, health care, and workforce issues.
The subcommittee funds the Department of Education, and I continue to encourage my colleagues on the subcommittee to resist turning local decision-making power over to the federal government when many decisions are best made at the state and local level. That said, adequate federal funding is required to ensure that public schools can provide an excellent education to every child who enters their doors. I am fully committed to achieving appropriate education funding levels and to ensuring that our education system continues to be an effective tool in preparing our children and our nation for the future.
In addition, the subcommittee funds the Department of Health and Human Services, and I have worked with my colleagues to ensure the healthcare system in this country is properly maintained, while resisting efforts to implement President Obama’s health care law, which represents the first step to a government takeover of the healthcare system. As a former dentist, I will also continue to fight for responsible funding for oral health programs, including programs like Title VII health professionals, the National Institutes of Health, and oral health programs at the Centers for Disease Control and the Health Resources Services Agency.
Recent Subcommittee Activity:
The Labor, Health and Human Services, Education Appropriations Subcommittee awaits the introduction of the President's fiscal year 2016 budget request and will begin hearings this spring.
The subcommittee engages in comprehensive oversight of and writes the annual budget for the following agencies:
- Department of Education;
- Department of Health and Human Services;
- Department of Labor;
- Related Agencies:
- Committee for Purchase From People Who Are Blind or Severely Disabled,
- Corporation for National and Community Service,
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting,
- Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service,
- Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission,
- Institute of Museum and Library Services,
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission,
- National Commission on Libraries and Information Science,
- National Council on Disability,
- National Labor Relations Board,
- National Mediation Board,
- Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission,
- Railroad Retirement Board, Social Security Administration.